We’re not tax experts, and this guide is intended to answer general questions on how Wholesale Club works with VAT. Consult your region’s tax regulations or contact a local tax professional for more information.
VAT stands for Value-Added Tax. This tax structure is a standard used in the EU and other parts of the world and is a tax collected based on the value of goods or services. VAT is collected when a VAT-registered business sells goods either to another business or directly to a consumer. Depending on the type of sale there are different requirements on how the VAT is displayed.
Wholesale Club doesn’t currently have built-in settings to charge or display VAT, but our support team is able to assist with some basic modifications to display prices that include a VAT percentage for wholesale customers. With these modifications, the VAT price will only be a cosmetic price adjustment shown on collection pages, product pages, and cart line items. The price in the cart total and checkout can't be changed, and your tax settings will need to take care of the price in the checkout. Below, find information on exactly what our support team is able to assist with and what we’re unable to do. For anything we’re unable to support, we recommend storetasker.com.
Depending on the complexity of your theme, what we're actually able to do varies on a case-by-case basis.
What we’re able to do
- Raise or lower the price displayed on collection pages, product pages, and cart line items for wholesale customers by a fixed percentage. For example, raise or lower the price seen by wholesale customers by 15%.
- Do this for all customers with any tags on their accounts. For example, any customer with any tag will see the VAT modified price, even tags not related to Wholesale Club.
- Do this for customers with only a specific tag on their accounts. For example, the VAT modified price will only show for customers tagged with "Gold".
What we’re unable to do
- Modify prices for certain tags and not others. For example, we can't change the displayed price by a fixed percentage for customers tagged with “Gold" and "Silver”, but not “Bronze”.
- Modify prices at different percentages. For example, we can't lower the displayed price by 15% for customers tagged with “Silver” and 20% for customers tagged with “Gold”.
- Modify the displayed price on the cart total or in the checkout.
- Modify prices based on location.
Looking for hands-on help?
Partner up with one of our account managers and get one-on-one assistance with our CoPilot program.