Using the Shopify Forms and Shopify Email apps, you can create a free registration form that automatically tags customers who fill out the form, then set up an automation that sends an email to that customer prompting them to create a wholesale account.
These instructions may work well you if you want to do the following:
- You want potential wholesale customers to provide more information when they apply for a wholesale account.
- You want the form to automatically apply a "pending approval" tag to customer accounts when they fill out the form so you can vet their application and apply the appropriate discount tag.
- You only have one B2B Wholesale Club discount tag and you want that tag automatically applied after a wholesale customer fills out the form, automating the wholesale account creation process.
If these instructions don't quite work for your business or you want something a little more sophisticated, you can look into a third party app like Helium.
Step 1: Create a registration form
- In the Shopify Forms app, click Create form in the top right hand corner. Choose whether to create a popup or inline form, give your form a name, then click Create.
- Adjust the Title, Content, Fields, and other elements of your form. You can personalize the form and the success message with text that suits your store like in the examples below.
- In the Placement section of the form setup, you can click Copy page URL to get the URL of the form and add it to your storefront navigation or add the form to an existing page template as a section or block. Click here to learn more about Shopify sections and blocks.
- In the Tags section, enter the tag you want the form to apply to the customer. If you have just one B2B Wholesale Club discount tag, you can have the form automatically apply that tag to the customer when they finish the form, and they'll be ready to access wholesale discounts right away. Alternatively, you can enter a tag reading something like "pending approval" so that you can find pending wholesale applications in your Shopify admin in order to approve or reject them.
- Click Save when your form is ready. You can always come back and edit the form later.
Step 2: Create an automation
- In the Shopify Forms app, click on the registration form you just created. Scroll down to the bottom of the setup page to the Automations section. Click Create automation.
- This will open a default Welcome new subscriber automation using the Shopify Email app. Click Use workflow to begin editing the workflow, and rename the automation if you wish.
- Hover over the Start when card, and click Change. Select the Customer created trigger.
- Hover over the Check if card, and click Change. Click the trash can icon next to the current condition to remove it, then click Add criteria. Select Customer, then select tags.
- Under Tags item, set the condition to Equal to and enter the tag applied by the registration form you created. Click the X in the top right corner of the condition window.
It's important that the tag you enter here matches the tag you chose for the registration form exactly.
- Hover over the Do this card and click Edit email under Email template.
- Edit your email template, making sure to include a button or link to your store's account creation page (storename.myshopify.com/account/register) and instructions telling the customer to follow the link to complete the wholesale registration process like in the example below. When you’ve edited your email, click Save.
- When you’re ready to activate your automation, click Turn on workflow in the top right of the workflow editor.